Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Pickles

Well everysince I was young I didn't like the taste of the cucumber pickles my parents bought. I've started to get more accostomed to the taste. I still am not a big fan of cucumber pickles (because they are common and boring) or hot peppers (I have a low-medium heat tolerance) but I have been reading a lot about pickling so I desided to try it out!

If I haven't told you yet I am a kind of person who hates boring food. I always go for the recipes that seem out of the ordinary. Because of this I decided to not do cucumber but to pickle fruit and eggs insted! :)

I did smokey dark and lovely eggs and pickled pears/plums

there are limitless ways to pickle eggs; use beet juice, or go smokey, spicy and of course plain and boring.

I tryed Dark and Lovely smokey eggs;
Key; TBS=tablespoon, tsp=teaspoon

  • 1 1/2 Cups cider vinigar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 TBS brown sugar
  • 2 tsp granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp pickling spice
  • 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
  • 2 tsp salt (kosher or pickling salt, not table salt as the iodine will make yo pickles go FuNKeY!)
  • a dozen eggs

Heat all the ingredients in a non reactive pot until sugar is melted, simmer for five minutes, then pour the mixture into the jar over the eggs. Put in the fridge for 1-2 weeks and consume!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I also made sweet pickled pears/plums because I made too batches and I wanted some to serve at our 4th of July Barbie-Q.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Probably the best pickles ever; Iwould double the amount of fruit (not liquid) if using a quart jar like I did because there is a lot of leftover space (the recipe only filled up half the jar.)

  • 1 Bartlett (or firm) pear, thinly sliced
  • 1 red plum, sliced
  • 1/2 lemon, sliced (I used one whole baby lemon)
  • 1 TBS ginger (I would grate it for stronger taste, I just sliced it)
  • sprig of mint
  • 1 cup Water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup rice wine vinigar

Put all but the last three ingredients in a jar. Heat the water sugar and vinigar till sugar is disolved and por into jar over fruit. They are great right away but you should wait a day or two before eating.

No comments: