by Alton Brown
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice from 1 fresh squeezed orange (add water or additional OJ if short of a 1/3 cup)
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest, from the orange, do not forget this!
- 1 stick butter
whisk eggs and sugar together for at least 4 minutes, combine juice and zest and then whisk in to egg/sugar mixture, over a double boiler whisk the mixture for 8-12 minutes, when thickened remove from heat and add butter a tablespoon at a time, and finally chill for 4 hours before serving. This keeps for 2 weeks in the fridge.
The cake was (or should I say 'would have been') excellent. Yogurt Cake is a staple in French households and is so easy to make, it compliments this orange curd (or lime or lemon curd for that matter) perfectly.
With the cake I wanted something to balance out the over sweetness, richness, and artery clogging goodness of the curd. Here you go!Gâteau au Yaourt (Yogurt Cake) first pubished on Chocolate and Zucchini provided by
- 1 cup of whole milk
- plain unsweetened yogurt
- 2 eggs (or egg substitute)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1 TBSP light rum (goes even better with lime curd)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter and flour a round ten-inch cake pan. In a large mixing-bowl, gently combine the yogurt, eggs, sugar, and flour. Add in the oil, baking powder, rum and vanilla and mix again. The batter may not quite absorb all the liquid, but that's okay -- don't overwork it. Pour the batter into prepared cake pan and bake for 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Let stand for ten minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.
chocolate or chocolate-yogurt cake would also work great for the orange curd.
Here: http://neverbashfulwithbutter.blogspot.com/2007/12/lime-curd-and-sour-cream-cake-little.html I found a great lime curd cake which uses sour cream insted of yogurt. Some rum would be great with this too. :)
I also found a great recipe here;http://alpineberry.blogspot.com/2007/08/lemon-curd-cake.html This recipe is unlike most curd cakes...curd cakes *laugh*...anyway, this recipe is unlike most curd cakes in that the curd is not layered between the cakes but incorperated into the batter.Yum.
Anyway once you know how to make one curd you've virtually made them all... so get going!