Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas!!!



Today has been a blast! I got many goodies for Christmas, I am so blessed to have such amazing parents and other fabulously new material items. I got...hmmm..a new camera...it kicks $&% in so many ways and it kicks my old camera out of the stratosphere. It has ten times better focus, picture quality, battery life, video, and other features. I also got shoes, clothes, money, gift cards, and two kitchen accessories; a new rice cooker and waffle iron!!! YES! I swear I have been dieing for a new rice cooker. I broke mine in a previous accident trying to make bread...in the rice cooker. Also I was a little surprised when I got the waffle iron, because I wasn't expecting it but I sure was happy when the waffles came out so much better than store bought brand waffles. I made a really large batch (at least 32 waffles) and froze half of it for toasting later. Riding my sweet potato wave (veiw last post for other sweet potato recipes) I made sweet potato waffles with orange zest and shredded carrot, to complete the beta carotene overdose.


PhotobucketPhotobucket


Sweet Potato Waffles
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Show:
Good Eats
Episode:
Potato, My Sweet

1 1/2 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes 2 cups all purpose flour 1 tablespoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 6 egg whites, at room temperature 1 cup milk 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar 1/4 cup butter, melted 1 tablespoon grated orange rind Vegetable spray, for waffle iron
Special equipment: steamer basket and waffle iron
Put cubed sweet potatoes in a steamer basket. Place the basket in a large pot of simmering water that is no closer than 2 inches from the bottom of steamer. Allow potatoes to steam for 20 minutes of until fork tender. Mash cooked potatoes and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside. In another bowl combine the sweet potatoes, milk, brown sugar, butter, and grated orange rind. Stir the sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture and thoroughly combine. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold egg whites into batter 1/3 at a time. The batter will be thick. Using a No. 20 disher (scoop), place 2 scoops of batter onto a preheated, oiled waffle iron, and cook until lightly browned, about 5 to 6 minutes.

No comments: