Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry CHRISTmas!

Photobucket

This is a picture of my Christmas tree...Cool huh?

Do I have to say it? "Its about Christ and the spirit of giving!" There you go. Now on to the food. This years Christmas was (I shouldn't say was, as its still Christmas Eve...pathetic woman blogging on Christmas Eve) sort of like a wannabe Thanksgiving. We did Turkey instead of Ham and had all the works; stuffing, nasty cranberry jelly, mashed potatoes, and I was a little disappointed that I was once again pushed to the side while cooking dinner (I was very "ornery" about it and I made it very clear to my mother...sorry mom). I mean come on! First Thanksgiving then Christmas?? Oh well, my aunt and all of my other relatives are slowly realizing my cooking genius (kidding) so next year I will probably on top of everything.

My small addition to the Christmas menu was pleasantly appreciated though. I made "Alton Brown" Chipoltle sweet potatoes (they were really yams). I have found if you can get passed the heat, peppers have really amazing flavors. I'm an avid fan of peppers now and what better time for spicy foods then winter right? (Be expecting a pepper post soon!) Here is the recipe!


Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Show:
Good Eats
Episode:
Potato, My Sweet

2 large sweet potatoes (I used yams), peeled and cubed 2 tablespoons unsalted butter 1 whole canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can of peppers 1/2 teaspoon salt
Put cubed potatoes into steamer basket and place steamer into a large pot of simmering water that is no closer than 2 inches from the bottom of basket. Allow to steam for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Add butter to potatoes and mash with potato masher. Add peppers, sauce, and salt and continue mashing to combine. Serve immediately.

(Just so you know orange peel or juice might also go well with sweet potato/yams)

Any way I can't believe its Christmas! I keep having to remind myself its here! I should probably go to bed.....*Squeal* Santeee Clause! Also I'm getting behind on my blog. My ideas are coming to fast to keep up with. Look forward to these themes for new posts!


  • Chowder (TV show)
  • Peppers (Spicy!)
  • Kraut (the sour kind "har har")
  • Sushi (I've got to do it sometime!)
  • More Bento
  • More XMAS!

No comments: