Sunday, January 27, 2008

Weekend Cookfest

I finally got a chance to do some cooking aside from my busy schedule. I'm very pleased that I got the chance. Both of these recipes are quick, easy, and filling!

Pasta with Walnut Sauce Original recipe by Nigella Lawson

I used Nigellas recipe but used 8 oz walnuts (and forgot you only add 5 of the 6 oz in the origional recipe anyway) and so ended up having to change the recipe accordingly...no matter what you are definitely going to have more milk, butter, oil, whatever as this sauce will more likely than not come out thick.

  • 8 oz walnuts (save some for garnish..if you want)
  • 1 slice bread crusts removed
  • 1 tsp garlic paste (or minced garlic)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 4 TBS olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste (don't skimp on the pepper)
  • pasta (flat and short is best, I used what I had)
  • parsley

Toast walnuts in a dry skillet. Mix first five ingredients together and slowly drizzle in olive oil. Add spices as desired (I would go heavy on pepper and not skimp on the salt as the sauce will be too bland other wise). Cook pasta according to directions and eat with sauce and parsley and Parmesan if desired.

For a more accurate recipe (and smaller serving):
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_35389,00.html

I made enchiladas as well and those were great. I, being the unpredictable person I am decided to go for green sauce instead of the regular red. I followed the recipe on the back of the sauce can (oh how taboo! What do you expect? I said quick and easy not from scratch!) Enchiladas have many different construction methods and I'm not here to debate on correct enchilada etiquette but I went about it as such.


  • Fry tortillas in minimal amount of oil (not deep fry but pan fry).
  • Continue this proccess as chicken in cooking in oven.
  • Once i'm done with the tortillas fry up the now shreaded or cut up chicken in a "pat" of butter.
  • Put a little bit of chicken in each tortilla and roll up.
  • Place your free form "burritos" in baking dish and cover with enchilada sauce.
  • Sprinkle cheese (I used pepper jack) on top and bake in oven (350) for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is warm.


No comments: